Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Are You Happy Now?

Greetings from the land of fruits, nuts and flakes! It’s been awhile since I’ve blogged so I thought I’d take some time to sit down and write.

I’ve been thinking about moving to a place that is slower-paced than Los Angeles. A place with lush green vegetation…where people still offer up a smile when you pass them on the street. It is a little taxing on the soul being around so many faceless people day in and day out. The city is too big to travel much outside of a comfortable 5-10 mile radius. Traffic is a beast and prevents me from having a ‘nice drive’ anywhere….even on Sundays. The beach seems close to the average person – only about 25 miles. But add in an hour or more drive time and a minimum of 30 minutes to find parking (which can also be pretty expensive) and enter buzz kill. The water is cold-- even in the hottest part of the summer. I’ve never been able to get more than a calf in the water without the shrill cries of frigid agony.

For me, I think the city has lost its appeal. It may be because I don’t really like it here. I don’t care for the people – they’re too self-absorbed. It may be because I’ve grown complacent and tired in the pursuit of a writing career. I’m getting older, I have no retirement plan, no health benefits and no job security. But my desire to be happy is fully intact. So today I asked myself, “If you were truly happy, how would your life be different?”

I have been energized by the allure of moving to a calmer, nicer place. I was getting excited looking for houses and a different job. I was excited about being closer to friends and relatives. And then it hit me. Am I doing everything I can where I am to make change happen in my life? What will moving solve?

I think sometimes the enticement of something new is deceiving. It’s a huge task to take on – this moving business. It can be exhausting. And there’s no guarantee that in the end I will be any happier. What would it take to make me happy now? What changes need to occur to be happy where I am?

So, I ask you….are you happy now? What would it take? Are you doing everything you can to MAKE YOUR OWN HAPPINESS? It’s long since been said that you can manifest your own happiness. It’s a state of mind. It’s hard work and requires constant effort, this staying positive in such a negative world. But if we can truly manifest what we want in our lives, then what are we waiting for?


I have some work to do. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment